Safaricom Injects KES 114 Million into Rhino Charge 2026 Conservation Drive
Safaricom and the M-PESA Foundation have committed KES 114 million to support the 37th edition of the Rhino Charge Challenge set for May 30, 2026, in Samburu.
The funding will support environmental conservation, forest restoration, and event connectivity during this year’s challenge.
Out of the total amount, the M-PESA Foundation will contribute KES 94 million toward Rhino Ark conservation activities. Meanwhile, Safaricom PLC will provide KES 20 million to sponsor participating teams and connectivity infrastructure.
Supporting Kenya’s Water Towers
The conservation funding will support the fencing and protection of the Mount Elgon Forest (Suam Block) and restoration of the Mau Forest Complex across Narok, Kericho, and Bomet counties.
Additionally, the programme will support the Mount Kenya Forest Rehabilitation and Protection Project in Tharaka Nithi County.
Speaking during the cheque handover ceremony, Peter Ndegwa said sustainability remains central to Safaricom’s long-term vision.
“This year, we are proud to commit KES 114 million through the M-PESA Foundation and Safaricom. Our support for the Rhino Charge reflects our commitment to practical conservation efforts that protect Kenya’s natural heritage,” he said.
Safaricom also noted that the company has supported Rhino Charge for more than a decade, helping raise over KES 2.6 billion for conservation initiatives across Kenya.
To date, Rhino Ark has constructed more than 650 kilometres of electric fencing to protect communities and wildlife habitats.

Safaricom Injects KES 114 Million into Rhino Charge 2026 Conservation Drive
Technology and Motorsport Meet Conservation
Part of Safaricom’s contribution will support three competing teams, including Car No. 44 led by Adil Khawaja, the EV Explorers team led by Richard Kiplagat, and the all-ladies team Zambarau Heels on the Wheel led by Agnes Mwangi.
Car No. 44 will receive KES 15 million, while the EV Explorers and Zambarau teams will each receive KES 1 million.
Additionally, Safaricom will provide 5G connectivity at the event to improve communication and enhance participant and spectator experiences in the remote terrain.
Richard Kiplagat said the sponsorship will motivate the electric vehicle team to compete strongly while championing sustainable mobility.
“As the only EV team in the competition, we are highly motivated not only to complete the challenge but also emerge among the best,” he said.
Meanwhile, Elizabeth Wanjiku described the sponsorship as a major boost for the all-women team.
Last year’s Rhino Charge event in Baringo County raised KES 269.5 million toward the protection of Kenya’s water towers and ecosystems.
This year’s competition is expected to attract more than 55 entries, including former winners Team Huzi and Team Zambarau.
According to Christian Lambrechts, the initiative continues to create a significant impact for both communities and conservancies.
“We expect a total of 65 entries to take part in this year’s fundraising effort in support of environmental conservation and the protection of Kenya’s vital water catchment towers,” he said.
Ultimately, the Rhino Charge continues to position motorsport as a powerful platform for conservation, sustainability, and community protection across Kenya.























Comments