Prof. Moni Wekesa Faces JSC Panel For CJ Post
Thursday, Prof. Dr. Wekesa Moni appeared before the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) panel as the search for the Country’s Chief Justice continues.
On Wednesday, the High Court issued orders stopping JSC from conducting the interviews of judge of Supreme Court pending hearing of petitions filed by Tolphin Nafula, Philip Muchiri Damaris Wakiuru, and Memba Ocharo.
Nine candidates were scheduled to appear before the JSC starting next week to defend their suitability to be supreme court judges.
Justices Anthony Mrima, Reuben Nyakundi and Wilfrida Okwany however allowed the interviews for the position of Chief Justice to proceed but stopped the JSC from making any further considerations or deliberations in respect to that position once the interviews are over on Friday.
Prof. Dr. Dr. Wekesa Moni
Prof, Dr. Moni Wekesa said that his qualifications and vast experience in law training and background in education, place him in a unique position as Kenya’s next Chief Justice.
He said if appointed, his first three months in office will be to mend relationships with other arms of government.
He further said he plans to enter into structured engagements with Law schools and develop moot courts with weekly programs.
Other key issues that will need his immediate attention include tackling corruption allegations in the judiciary and review of transfer policy through engagement with staff members.
On the issue of the ever-increasing case backlog, Prof. Wekesa said he will ensure Kenyans are enlightened on alternative dispute resolutions mechanism as a way of reducing the number of cases heading to court.
Professor Wekesa is well known for his contribution to Kenya’s Anti-Doping Law after chairing the Anti-Doping Taskforce
Born in 1959 in Kakamega County, Prof. Wekesa holds the following academic and professional qualifications:
- PhD in Law from the University of Nairobi (2010)
- PhD in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation from Deutsche Sporthochschule, Cologne, Germany (1989)
- Master of Laws from the University of Nairobi (2005)
- Bachelor of Laws from the University of Nairobi (2002)
- Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law (2004)
- Admitted to the Roll of Advocates in 2004
- Bachelor of Education (Science) from the University of Nairobi (1981)
Prof. Wekesa has an aggregate of 16 years of experience in the legal profession:
- Associate Professor, Daystar University (2016 to date)
- Associate/Managing Partner, Moni Wekesa & Co. Advocates (2007 to date)
- Founding Dean and Associate Professor of the School of Law, Mount Kenya University (2010 -2016)
- Lecturer, Catholic University of Eastern Africa (2010 – 2012)
- Executive Secretary, Kenya Football Federation (2005 – 2006)
- Associate, Billy Amendi & Co. Advocates (2005 – 2007)
- Associate, Asiema & Co. Advocates (2004 – 2005)
He has also worked as:
- Regional Manager, Africa Special Olympics Inc. (1998 – 2001)
- Associate Professor, University of Namibia (1998 – 1998)
- Senior Lecturer and Deputy Dean of Faculty, University of Botswana (1996 – 1997)
- Graduate Assistant, Tutorial fellow, Lecturer and Senior Lecturer, Kenyatta University (1982 – 1995)
- Graduate Teacher, Teachers Service Commission (1981)