At least 59 people have been killed in a suspected jihadist attack in north-eastern Nigeria.
Tuesday afternoon, gunmen attacked residents from a remote village in the Gubio district of Borno state killing dozens. According to the local reports, the village was razed in what is believed to have been a revenge attack.
The AFP news agency said that 59 bodies had been recovered, while Reuters reported that 69 people were killed with no group claiming the attack.
Reuters reported that the militants suspected villagers of sharing information about their movements to security forces, while AFP said jihadist fighters had been killed by locals trying to protect livestock.
While it is unclear who carried out the attack, both the jihadist group Boko Haram and an offshoot which fights under the banner of the Islamic State group have carried out deadly attacks in the north-east of Nigeria.
Boko Haram, which sparked global outrage in 2014 when they abducted more than 270 schoolgirls in Chibok in Borno state, is also active in neighboring Chad, Niger, and Cameroon.
In March, its militants ambushed and killed at least 47 Nigerian soldiers in the country’s northeast, before killing almost 100 soldiers in Chad the following day.